Slade 3300C Pump and Valve Packing
Slade 3300C Pump and Valve Packing
- Reduces water consumption
- Reduces energy consumption
- Designed to run leak-free
- Works well on worn sleeves
- Can be run flush-free in non-abrasive applications
- Mild flush in abrasive applications
- Can be used in pumps, valves, mixers, and other rotating equipment
- Temperatures: Mild oxidizers to 1800?F/1000?C (for high temperatures, e.g., over 1000F/540C, consult factory)
- Pressures: Valves to 1000 PSI/70 BAR (for higher pressures, consult factory)
- Rotational Speed: 4800FPM (1400m/min)
- pH Range: 1-14
About the 3300C Pump and Valve Packing
Slade 3300C is the original Slade pump and valve packing. Designed to perform as a mechanical seal, leak free. Constructed of high tensile strength carbon and expanded graphite to provide the needed lubrication. Therefore, no leakage is required either to cool or lubricate the pump packing. Leak free operation will extend run time and shaft sleeve life.
Due to its patented construction of natural, expanded graphite yarns, Slade 3300C pump packing turns the stuffing box into a heat sink, conducting heat away from the shaft, in many applications, eliminating expensive leakage previously needed to cool the stuffing box.
Slade Pump Packing can be run flush free in most applications. If media has particulate contamination, a very mild flush should be all that is required to keep solids out of the stuffing box.
Worn shafts and sleeves can easily be sealed with our shaft packing. When properly installed, Slade shaft packing will conform to the geometry of the stuffing box and shaft. Therefore Slade can seal most worn sleeves.
Whereas most pump packings are largely abrasive fibers with added lubricants that can be squeezed, washed or cooked out, Slade pump packing utilizes the self-lubricating qualities of the very best natural, exfoliated graphite.
Incorporating just enough temperature and chemical resistant “carbon fiber” to make very high tensile strength yarns, Slade’s patented technology allows the braided packing rings to transfer frictional heat away from high speed shaft sleeves, eliminating the need, in most cases, for cooling water.
Since cooling or flushing is not typically required, there is no need for lantern rings. This eliminates the concern for the lantern rings being adjusted out of position, flush water ports becoming plugged, or sleeve wear caused by the corrosive nature of highly oxygenated water or hardened sleeves.
By eliminating the lantern ring, the need for packing rings inboard of the lantern ring is also eliminated. With the use of Slade’s Spacer Bushings or Way-2-Seal, the number of rings in the stuffing box can be reduced to 3 sealing rings. With less sealing rings coming in contact with the shaft, less friction and less strain placed on the motor. This has proven to reduce amperage usage by up to 5%. Please contact Slade directly for more information on amperage reduction.
- Item #: 3300C
- Item Name: 3300C Valve and Pump Packing
- Water Savings (per Shaft): 2.6 million gallons per year at 5 gpm.
- Reinforcement: Each individual strand of graphite foil is reinforced with high strength structural carbon fiber and no other reinforcements.
- Certifications: API 589, API 607
- Main Component: Graphite Carbon
- State of Main Component: Expanded
- Working Parameters
- Maximum Working Temperature: 1800 ºF, 1000 ºC
- Maximum Pressure (Valves): 1000 psi, 70 bar
- Maximum Pump Speed (without Cooling Flush): 4800 ft/min, 24.4 m/s
- Chemical Resistance (Except in Strong Oxidizers): 0 to 14 pH
- Two independent tests (PERF standards) by Major Oil Company show emission control 3.9 and 6.4 times better than (1/5 stac) die formed rings of flexible graphite foil.
- Slade manufactures its own patented graphite foil yarns to achieve these standards.
- Virtually no leakage in most applications
- No flush water required in most cases
- Reduced Amperage Typical
- Excellent in reciprocating pumps
- pH 0-14, except in strong oxidizers
- Seals abrasive slurries
- One packing for pumps and valves
- Works well on smoothly or worn sleeves
- Difficult to over tighten
- No flush water required in most applications
- Each Braided Yarn Reinforced with Carbon Fiber (600,000 psi Tensile Strength)
- API Fire Tested (607 and 589)
- No special end-rings required. Carbon-Corners on Each Ring of 3300G Provide Excellent Anti-Extrusion and Wiper Action. Good to 5,000 psi (345 bar)
- Reduces inventory and cost:
- By Eliminating Die-Formed Rings for Each Valve
- By Having a Few Standard Sizes for All Valves
- Same Packing for Both Pumps and Valves
- No Lubricants, Grease or Impregnants that can be Squeezed, Washed or Cooked Out
- No Wire Reinforcement that could Damage Stem
- Pulp and Paper Mills
- Nuclear, Fossil and Hydroelectric Power Plants
- Waste Water Treatment Plants
- Reciprocating Pumps
- Cooling Tower Pumps
- Vacuum Pumps
- River Water Pumps
- Fire Pumps
- Auxiliary Pumps
- Chemicals, Steam, Hydrocarbons etc.
Minimizes or Virtually Eliminates Leakage!
Due to its patented construction of natural, expanded graphite yarns, Slade 3300G turns the stuffing box into a heat sink, conducting heat away from shaft, in many applications, eliminating expensive leakage previously needed to cool the stuffing box.
Can Be Operated Flush-Free in Most Applications
Slade 3300G conducts heat away from the shaft/sleeve, in most cases making flush unnecessary. If media has particulate contamination, a very mild flush should be all that is requires.
No flush-water translates into:
- Exceptional savings, typically 1/2 cent per gallon, or $13,000 annually (U.S.) (based on 5 GPM flush system)
- No fear of flush-water system becoming plugged or experiencing loss of pressure
Reduces Inventory and Cost
- By eliminating die-formed rings (cut-rings work fine)
- Handles most medias, 1-14 pH, eliminating many styles of packing
- In many applications, no need to remove old packing, just add a ring
- Lasts 4 to 6 times longer than traditional pump packings
Worn Shafts and Sleeves Easily Sealed
Conforms to the geometry of the stuffing box and shaft. Seals most worn sleeves.
Pump Sealing Technology
Why Traditional Packings Fail
How a Stuffing Box Should Look When Completely Packed Using Traditional Packings
Traditional packings are mostly fiber with added lubricants that can be squeezed, cooked or washed out, resulting in out-of position lantern rings, over-compressed packing and sleeve wear.
Slade Packed Centrifugal Pumps: Typical Stuffing Box VERSES Slade Packed Stuffing Box
Typical Stuffing Box: A typical stuffing box requires leakage and/or flush-water to dissipate heat, creating costly housekeeping problems, loss of product and/or loss of flush-water. Additional rings cannot be added without affecting position of lantern ring
Slade Packed Stuffing Box: In most applications, a Slade packed stuffing box can be run without flush-water and/or with virtually no leakage. In many applications, both No-Flush & No-Leak are possible! Additional rings can be added as needed.
Flush-Free & Virtual Leak-Free Service
Depending on design of equipment and speed of shaft, a permanent split bushing may be installed last (after 3300G Rings). Please contact us for a recommendation.
Seals Rotating Equipment
Whereas most pump packings are largely abrasive fibers with added lubricants that can be squeezed, washed or cooked out, Slade 3300G utilizes the self-lubricating qualities of the very best natural, exfoliated graphite.
Incorporating just enough temperature and chemical resistant ‘carbon fiber’ to make very high tensile strength yarns, Slade’s patented technology allows the braided packing rings to transfer frictional heat away from high speed shaft sleeves, eliminating the need, in most cases, for cooling water.
Since cooling or flushing is not typically required, there is no need for lantern rings. This eliminates the concern of the lantern rings being adjusted out of position, flush water ports becoming plugged, or sleeve wear caused by the corrosive nature of highly oxygenated water on hardened sleeves.
For Steam, Nuclear and Hydro-Electric Plants
|For Pulp and Paper Mills
Replaces expensive Mechanical Seals at 25% of the cost. Split to install without dismantling the pump
An alternative to machining costly bushings is to utilize Slade’s DSS Sealing System. No machining, no dismantling of the pump. Achieve leak-free, flush-free service. It comes fully unitized, ready to install, and we’ll inform you of the gland compression required. If you follow Slade’s installation instructions, you eliminate fear of over-tightening.
The SLADE DSS sealing system can achieve Mechanical Seal performance at packing costs. Contact Slade for information on the DSS bushings.
- Check clearances and dimensions
- Best to use no more than 5 rings in stuffing box (use DSS rings, Slade’s spacer bushings, to reduce rings)
- Cut rings on the bias (45° angle), stagger joints
- Compress each ring 25%-30% (use packing compressors as needed)
- Loosen gland to allow it to relax
- Snug the gland bolts and start the pump